The NBA is the heart of the basketball world. The NBA is made up of 30 teams, each playing 82 games during the regular season. As the league offers many quick games each season, basketball lends itself extremely well to betting.
When the NBA rolls, all eyes are on the league’s star players and teams. Whether you want to place a bet on a player or predict who will emerge victorious in the championship, there are plenty of betting options available to you.
However, we know that all of this may seem a bit complicated at first glance.
In this guide, we will provide you with an overview of NBA betting so that you can better understand what it is and how it works.
A brief overview
How does NBA betting work?
Generally speaking, NBA betting is pretty straightforward. This is largely due to the fact that the rules of the game are extremely easy to follow.
Simply, the more a team seems favored to win, the less money you will make betting on them. On the opposite, the more a team is expected to lose, the more money you will make on a comeback betting on them.
Before you begin, you need to learn how NBA betting odds work. When looking at betting odds, the team with a minus (-) next to its name is the favorite to win. If the team has a plus (+) next to its name, it is considered the underdog of the game and should lose.
NBA betting can be done in several ways. Before we get to that, there are a few crucial things you need to know.
Most bettors use a bookmaker that offers “lines” or bets to calculate the outcome of a particular match. Sportsbooks are places that help you understand the odds for a particular game or player, how they are displayed and also what they mean in terms of the outcome.
You should also know that a “gap” (or “line”) represents the number of points a team should win or lose.
Use odds comparison tools to improve your edge
If you are a member of several sportsbooks, you can scan them to find the best odds before placing a bet. Odds Comparison and Best Odds Websites are a great resource for doing this.
Vouchers have real-time, accurate data from all legal US sportsbooks, so you can shop with confidence that you’re seeing the latest information.
Odds tools help highlight the best odds for a given bet, and if you are a member of that particular site, all you have to do is log in and place the bet.
Common types of bets
Here are the most common types of NBA bets you may encounter:
- Bets Moneyline: Betting on a money line requires you to directly predict which team will win the game. The margin of victory is irrelevant. This is the simplest and most popular type of NBA bet.
- Betting spread: This forces bettors to bet on the number of runs by which a team will win or lose a game.
- Live betting: NBA live betting markets allow you to place bets on an NBA game in real time. That is, while the game is still playing out in front of you. It’s very exciting but you have to act fast!
- Paris Parlay: This involves betting on the overall outcome of one proposition or more than one event at any given time. You must win each part of the bet for the bet to be classified as a winner.
- Bets on accessories: These bets focus less on the outcome or results of a match than on individual players and events. This can include betting on rebounds, assists or points a particular player can score in a game.
- Total bets (over/under): This is a classic NBA type of bet that is also quite easy to make. When using totals betting, you need to predict the total number of points that will be scored in an NBA game.
How to place an NBA bet
Once you have selected where you want to make your bets, placing the bet is a fairly simple process. We have outlined some generic steps to follow below:
- Log in to your sports betting account or any website or app where you have chosen to place your bets.
- Find the “NBA” section.
- Select the game you wish to place a bet on.
- Choose your bet.
- Access the bet slip (right side of the computer screen or bottom of your phone screen).
- Enter the amount of money you want to bet.
- Tap on “Place a bet”.
And you are done! The general rules may vary slightly depending on where you place your bet.
This concludes our recap on NBA betting! We hope you now know a little more about the different types of NBA bets available.
When making bets, make sure you go with a clear mind. This will keep you on budget and help you make the best decisions possible!