Do you want to quickly create an HTTP web server on Google Chrome browser to serve HTML based web pages or just for a file server for your local network, then here is the tutorial to learn how to use web server for chrome…
Here we are going to use an app available on the Chrome Web Store known as “A web server for Chromé”. It is very easy to install and use. The developer of this Chrome app has released it under an open source license (MIT). It’s also handy for sharing files over a local network between computers, or even over the Internet.
As a Chrome app, it can easily run on ChromeBook (ChromeOS) including all platforms like Windows, Linux, macOS and FreeBSD running Chrome or Chromium browser.
Download and run 200 ok HTTP Web Server on Chrome browser
- Open Chrome online store.
- Find the webserver on chromebeat.com or just use this link.
- Click on the Add to Chrome button.
- Once the app is installed, it will open the Settings The window. You can directly visit all installed apps on your browser by typing
chrome://appsin the URL box.
- By default, the web server would be running, so just click on the Choose the folder to select the folder from which you want the server files in the browser on a network.
- Here we select a folder containing HTML-based web pages.
- You can change the port number depending on what you want to use. If you want to access the Chrome web server over a local network or the Internet, select the corresponding options available. Also, we can run it in the background.
The screenshot below is the result of the web server we are using on Chrome. Yes indeed, you cannot host WordPress as a CMS or projects that need PHP to run, however, a simple HTML website or file server can easily be created on it to serve files on an intranet. local or Internet.
Therefore, for a web developer or those who just want to quickly set up an HTTP-based file server, this Chrome web server will be a handy tool.