One of the biggest challenges businesses face for their web application is finding the best database system. One should not rush into a decision as there are certain factors that they need to consider before selecting one. Take your time and do proper research to select the best one.
There is no single database that caters to your business application. The right database should be the right size, structure, speed, and scalability. You need to determine what your individual needs are to get the best database for your web application. There are options for workarounds, but they might not be ideally possible to give you credible results.
Characteristics of a good database that will work for the web application
Here are the characteristics of a good database-
- Structure- Data storage depends on whether the data is structured or unstructured. Again, there is semi-structured data that falls between these two. The more structured the data, the better it can be viewed and analyzed later. When it comes to highly structured data, you will find that it is quantitative to a large extent. It covers dates, notes, numbers, and other organized data that can be searched, stored, and analyzed later. Unstructured data which is complex and covers audios, videos, social media posts and other types of variable data. This data is difficult to find, store and analyze. Semi-structured data is the data that lies between highly structured and structured spectra. Examples of unstructured data are email, JSON, RDF, and CSV, among others.
- Database size –The size of your database will successfully determine the volume of data that needs to be stored and later retrieved. The database can partition data across multiple platforms, servers, and systems.
- Speed - Database speed should be good for your developers. Some database systems have been fully optimized for read-intensive applications, and others have been designed for write-intensive sites.
- Scalability – Some systems scale with businesses better than others. You should research and take the time to find out whether your web application needs vertical scaling or horizontal scaling. Scaling horizontally means that more servers can be used, and scaling vertically means adding more resources to existing servers. Several databases are linked to each other, and each of them has different disadvantages.
Having trouble finding the right database – ask these questions
If you’re struggling to get the best database for your web application, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
- What are your specific business goals? What does your app want to accomplish?
- What type of data do you want to store?
- Determine what is critical, long-term data storage or big data insertion rates?
- The number of requests for each hour, minute or day?
- What coding language do you use?
- Do you need a clear relationship between datasets or something more flexible?
- How important is scalability to you?
What about SQL-based databases – are they right for you?
If your business is not growing rapidly, you should consider getting an SQL database for web app. This database is based on structured data. If your web application uses unstructured data, the SQL database offers you several advantages. Esteemed professionals from a credible database management service RemoteDBA company say you can get multiple versions of SQL database, and these are MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc. However, if you want a reliable and predictable database, use the standard SQL database.
Data here is usually stored in rows and columns called tables. The data is quantitative so it can be stored faster and faster. Data recovery also becomes simple. But these databases are struggling to work well. So you need to make sure that you have the right team of database administrators looking after the integrity of your database.
What are the strengths of the SQL database?
This database is-
- Data can be stored and retrieved easily and
- It is ideal for various user permissions
However, there are some weak points of SQL database that you should be aware of. They are-
- Not suitable for unstructured or semi-structured data
- The database costs more than the non-relational database system, especially when scaling.
SQL database is perfect for-
- Applications where data integrity is a must, such as defense, e-commerce, medical records, and financial records
- Quantitative data
- Automated customer support
- Internal process automation
What about NoSQL database solutions for your web application?
If you can’t find the answer with SQL database solutions, you should choose NoSQL database. Here you get the crucial value solutions, wide columns and documents. These databases can store data in XML, JSON, and BSON formats. They include Redi, Cassandra, MongoDB, Couchbase, and Apache along with others. Documents can contain any type of data and deploy a flexible schema. It will not apply any document structure.
The positives of this database are-
- Flexible and able to handle structured and unstructured data
- Users can make changes to documents without negatively affecting other documents
- The write speed is fast.
- The database is simple for horizontal scaling.
Disadvantages of NoSQL Database
Weaknesses or disadvantages of this database are-
- ACID compliance is very weak
- Cross-document querying cannot be performed
This database is perfect for situations where the developer is unsure of the source of incoming data. It allows rapid prototyping and content management. Data can be analyzed easily.
Therefore, when it comes to determining the right database for the web application, be sure to consider the above factors. This way, you can get the right database for your needs without hassle.