GAME ON – OLG needs you
We said GAME ON, and we mean it – OLG is rapidly transforming its organization to better serve Ontarians by delivering exceptional gaming experiences through our digital, retail lottery and land-based casino channels. In our 2019-2020 fiscal year alone, OLG achieved net income of over $2.3 billion in the Province of Ontario. OLG is now expanding its horizons even further, with a new strategic direction, to become a world-class gaming entertainment leader with a globally admired digital platform.
We are ready to take this game to the next level and need an enthusiast Responsible for database development contribute to the successful development and delivery of database-supported applications. As a technical expert in database development, the role leads the development and delivery of database solutions in support of new deliverables or product enhancements. The role directs the design, implementation, monitoring, maintenance and performance of the database system in pre-production environments.
YOUR ROLE IN THE GAME
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Application Development, you will be empowered to:
- Lead project activities related to the development and implementation of a successful database environment, including the design, implementation, monitoring, maintenance and performance tuning of the database system to ensure quality and performance readiness for production implementation.
- Perform project design and implementation of database backup and recovery strategies, including disaster recovery planning for the database environment.
- Lead the development of database updates, releases and release upgrades, including release planning, design, implementation and documentation to ensure quality and consistency.
- Plan database capacity for new applications considering number of users/transactions and data growth to proactively plan and forecast capacity needs based on expected growth once implemented implemented in production.
- Partner with stakeholders from business and technology pillars to provide technical advice on the database, support and analysis required to identify potential gaps in data management and propose recommendations.
- Provide technical subject matter expertise to resolve database technology issues by proactively researching and keeping abreast of emerging technologies and new design approaches
- Ensure data integrity by enforcing integrity rules through database management system level designs, including ensuring that data is stored with effective controls and adheres to security policy, retention requirements and privacy risks
- Provide reviews and analysis of the effectiveness and efficiency of the existing database and develop strategy recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Provide level 3 support by identifying and resolving production database issues, including performing detailed root cause analysis and providing solutions and continuous improvement opportunities to prevent further issues.
- Perform database management activities for pre-production environments, including maintaining database documentation, processes, scripts, policies and procedures related to release and configuration management management, security and maintenance of the database management system.
- The role works in close partnership with technology partners and other stakeholders when performing the role’s responsibilities.
- The role may also interact with external technology providers and third-party or contracted services as needed to resolve issues in the area responsible.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY
Professional experience: Minimum of five (5) years of experience in progressive roles within technology or a related function. Minimum of five (5) years of database and server management experience in a fast-paced business environment. Minimum of four (4) years of experience leading informal technical teams in a complex technology environment. Provide subject matter expertise and/or guidance to the team.
Education: Post-secondary degree, preferably in the field of information systems, business administration and/or project management, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Primary knowledge around:
- Data managment
- Integration of systems and technologies
- Information Management Architecture
- Database structures
- Database query and access tools
- Database modeling
- Database design
- SSIS development
- Database Monitoring
- Relational databases and unstructured data
- Technical troubleshooting
- Cloud Resource Management
- Change, incident and problem management
Secondary knowledge around:
- Big data management and analysis
- Improved technology services
- Computer network defense
Critical Skills: Analytical thinking. Creativity. Problem solving. Decision making and critical thinking. Leadership skills.
Cooperation and fun: inclusive and collaborative working style while creating fun and excitement in our work
Integrity and trust: do what is right and operate with transparency and openness
BENEFITS OF JOINING OUR TEAM
- Part of a larger image: socially responsible company that returns all profits to the province and the people of Ontario
- Flexible work environment: to help balance work and life
- You count: family-friendly work practices and remote work
- Freedom to innovate: supports new and better ways to succeed
- Be your Authentic Self: environment that values diversity as a source of strength
- Learning galore: 24/7 access to robust online learning programs
- Public Service Pension Plan: participate in a large defined benefit pension plan sponsored by the Ontario government
- Variable compensation program: performance-based incentives to share our success
Learn about OLG – GAME ON!
OLG’s goal is to contribute to a better Ontario by providing great entertainment experiences for our customers. We are a several billion dollars organization with a wide range of business lines including lottery, land-based casinos, digital lottery and casino, horse racing and charitable gaming. OLG is in the midst of a massive transformation to become customer obsessed and take our digital business to a whole new level.
The key to our success is our people. Our culture will be built on real, positive partnerships that embrace trust, clarity and openness in everything we do. We support and empower employees and teams across the organization through greater accountability, leadership development and growth opportunities. OLG is embracing more flexible work options and family-friendly work practices, including remote work.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are essential elements of our culture, the cornerstone of our values of respect, integrity, stewardship and excellence. At OLG, our employees have the space to be themselves and use their insights and skills for the benefit of the people and the province of Ontario.
As we reshape and grow our business, we are unwavering when it comes to living our purpose and ensuring our business delivers meaningful results. benefits for Ontarians. OLG’s net profits are reinvested in the province, contributing to the quality of life of Ontarians.
To learn more about OLG, visit our website at www.olg.ca
We look forward to hearing from you, interested candidates should apply online by March 8, 2022.
OLG is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodation at any time during the hiring process.
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.